East Meets West

I see myself as the quintessential collision of two very different worlds. My mother is Korean and my father is red-blooded American. It seems to me that as I journey along in my life, the "collision" becomes a "blending". Every choice, every decision, every reaction is a result of what I have taken from these two cultures...it is what makes me who I am.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Potter

It's beautiful.  As I examine the smooth, cool surface of the pottery, I am amazed.  The colors are organic, the various shapes are interesting and unique.  There are many pieces to the collection, and they each have their own voice.  Some are simple and classic, others are abstract and wonderfully complex.  These pieces were sculpted several decades ago.  As I admire the beautiful collection, I begin to wonder about the hands that created such exquisite art.  I can sense which pieces were created with purpose and function in mind and which were a result of reckless creative abandon.  They all began as a mass of clay - lifeless, shapeless, dull.  Only the hands of an artist can participate in this transformation.  Hands that have a special gift of sensing the strength and weakness of the medium.  A mind that can imagine the potential of something ordinary.  Eyes that can appreciate the smallest detail.  And the heart...the heart has to be good and pure to be able to create something so beautiful.

The Bible refers to God as a potter.  This collection of pottery has often reminded me of how God works in our lives.  He sees the beauty in us.  He sees our strengths and weakness.  He can make us into something truly unique and wonderful from the dust of the earth.  Each piece is different.  There is not another identical to it in the world.  This is why I appreciate and cherish this collection.

The hands that created this precious collection of pottery belong to a man I admire and love very much.  He has a spirit about him that is comfortable and reassuring.  He is gentle in all of his ways.  His smile is infectious and his sense of humor is refreshing.  Humility is a natural and beautiful stroke on his canvas.  His art was boxed up in a storage unit for many years.  How did it get there?  A very long story...What matters to me now is that his art comes out, gets dusted off, and is loved and appreciated.  Eyes should be able to behold the magnificence in each piece everyday.  I find great joy in looking at the pottery and appreciating each form.  As I "get to know" the pieces, I notice the tiniest details.  I often wonder about what might have been going through his mind when that particular impression was made, or when that certain brushstroke was applied.  What was he experiencing in his life?  Was the piece made during a time of joy and peace?  Or unimaginable frustration?

I turn the pottery over and see the familiar signature of the artist.  I suppose I have a natural connection to this art because I also share this man's family name. 
He is my husband's father. 
He is my children's grandfather. 
I call him, "Dad." 
Growing up, I always thought it would be strange to call another man "Dad."  My dad is wonderful and loving and sets a pretty high standard for that title in my life.  However, when Perry Carandanis became my father-in-law, God blessed me with a man that easily met my highest expectations of what a father-in-law would be like.  It was easy and comfortable to call him "Dad."

I am honored to display his art in our home.  I am thrilled to be able to teach my children about their "Papou" and his amazing talent.  I find joy in admiring it everyday.  I want to show everyone!  Art should be viewed and appreciated constantly.  There is a story, an emotion, or a sense of life to the pottery.  This experience has really helped me understand God the Potter in a new light.  How fearfully and wonderfully we are made!

I'm convinced that there are a few more pieces of pottery or some paintings Dad's hands need to create.  His art has experienced a rebirth into our family's world.  After so many years of life experiences, I am curious to see how his art might have evolved.  Will it be a natural continuation from his earlier works?  Or will there be some subtle differences that point to the infusion of life experiences?    I am his greatest fan and am excited to share his gift.

Thank you, Dad,  for sharing this precious part of yourself with us.  Like I said before, only a good and pure heart has the ability to create things so beautiful. 

S'agapo, papoulimou!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home