East Meets West

I see myself as the quintessential collision of two very different worlds. My mother is Korean and my father is red-blooded American. It seems to me that as I journey along in my life, the "collision" becomes a "blending". Every choice, every decision, every reaction is a result of what I have taken from these two cultures...it is what makes me who I am.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Windex Woes


Isn't he cute??? This is my second son, my baby, Demetri. I've always said from the day he was born, that he had an "attitude." Noah, our firstborn, was and is very sensitive and mild in temperament. Demetri couldn't care less about the things that upset our Noah. Demetri does things HIS WAY and in HIS OWN TIME.


Today's episode is typical of something Demetri would be up to. I decided that I would allow myself a 15min nap...I know, what was I thinking??? I figured what could possibly happen in 15min? Come to find out, A LOT. I had drifted into a semi-sleep state and all seemed well. The house was quiet. Noah was on the computer looking at the latest in LEGO technology and Demetri was quietly sitting next to him. The dogs were also taking part in the afternoon siesta with me. Ahhhh....it felt really good....until I woke up and experienced a familiar smell. What was that? Cleaning solution of some kind? Why? Did I leave something out? In my sleepy state, I tried to ignore it and decided to deal with whatever it was after the blissful rest I was getting.


(enter Demetri) "Momma, I try to clean for you. It looked yucky so I try to clean for you and now I clean up my big mess. Don't worry momma, I clean it all up." I opened my eyes and there stood Demetri with this explanation of what had happened. What HAD happened?! Knowing what he was capable of (stories for another blog) I jumped up and went into the kitchen. When I got there, I found.......NOTHING. Everything was as it should have been. No spills. Nothing broken. No blood. Then, I saw it. Two EMPTY bottles of Windex on the counter. A kitchen towel wadded up and stuck under the kitchen table. And - the smell of Windex!


"Demetri, what happened? Tell mommy again."

"I try to clean the kitchen floor for you. I see dog hair and I want to clean for you. I get the blue water (Windex) and spill on the floor. But I clean it all up by myself!" He had a huge grin of satisfaction across his face. Adorable! How could I be mad? I might have had a case if he left the mess for me to find. But, God bless him, he cleaned it all up - TWO bottles of Windex! That's a lot of fluid!


Mental note: The child safety things on the cabinets are not Demetri-safe anymore...


I am smiling as I write this. Ok, he wasted two bottles of Windex. But I love that he wanted to help me. I love that he tried his best. I love that he wanted me to be happy.


Of all the things I've done wrong, I must've done something right!

I love this kid!




1 Comments:

Blogger William Umbarger said...

He is just like His "Favorite Uncle" Will, that's why.

November 10, 2009 at 4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home