East Meets West

I see myself as the quintessential collision of two very different worlds. My mother is Korean and my father is red-blooded American. It seems to me that as I journey along in my life, the "collision" becomes a "blending". Every choice, every decision, every reaction is a result of what I have taken from these two cultures...it is what makes me who I am.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

An Unexpected Gift

I've always wanted two dogs. Dog have always been a big part of my life, so the more the merrier for me! Wierd, I know. John and I were blessed with our dog, Happy, about seven years ago. We rescued her from a California humane society and she has been a real joy! She is a wonderful dog and I hope for many more years with her. So, in being blessed with such a good dog, it felt frivolous to want another. Besides, what am I thinking wanting another dog with two rambunctious boys in the house? In addition, John made it absolutely clear that HE DID NOT WANT ANOTHER DOG. He loved Happy with all his heart, but even she had to grow on him in the beginning. So, I pretty much gave up on the notion of being a two-dog family. I told John that he didn't have to worry...unless the perfect dog showed up on our door step asking to be a part of our family!


God hears our prayers, you know. I know he heard mine...ok, I'm admitting that I did send up a prayer about the whole dog situation! I guess I really wanted another one. On the morning of May 31st, 2009, a beautiful golden-retriever looking dog "showed up" on our driveway. He sat on his haunches and just looked at us. We were piling into the van getting ready to go to church. Anyone with young kids can imagine the chaos of trying to get anywhere on time! In the midst of the craziness, I noticed out of the corner of my eye this dog. He had a face that just melted my heart. He wanted a home.

I know what some of you are thinking. Don't worry, I made EVERY effort to find his owners. I worked closely with the county's dog services and had him posted on the website. I took him to the area's vet offices to see if they recognized him. So, per John's request, I would do everything I could to find the owner's. He said, "We can keep him here until we find his owners or find him a home." I reluctantly agreed. I knew keeping him would be a long shot.

I figured I'd let the kids give a name to this dog. They named him Luke Skywalker. I allowed it since he wasn't going to be with us for very long. I have to admit it was pretty funny calling out, "Here, Luke Skywalker! Here, boy!" I called him "Lukie" for short...

A few days went by and no luck with finding the owners. The boys and I got to know Lukie pretty well during that time. He was very well-mannered and even got along with Happy! Happy wasn't sure about him at first, but she tolerated him. To make a long story short, John allowed a family vote...3 to 1 to keep Luke Skywalker!!! I think it was 4 to 1 since I believe Happy wanted him to stay. :-) This should speak volumes about the character of the man I married. His desire to make his family happy outweighed his determination to NOT have another dog. Babe, you're the best!

It's almost been three months since this angel of a dog walked into our lives. Yesterday, the county allowed me to license him! So, now he's licensed and chipped...He's all ours! Oh, by the way...the whole Luke Skywalker thing didn't last long. His permanent name is Jake. I think it totally fits him!

We are all enjoying the new addition to our family! Even John. He is playful and smart, although VERY goofy at times! (I'm talking about the dog, not John!) Jake has an adorably strange habit of staring at rocks. I once timed him for 21 minutes! He is learning to be a great frisbee dog. He sleeps on his back with his legs in the air. He snores. He doesn't like dog beds, but loves to cuddle. He cocks his head from side to side when we ask him questions. He sleeps with one of his stuffed animals or a ball. He gives the sweetest, gentle kisses...

He's the perfect dog that showed up on our doorstep asking to be a part of our family!

Welcome home, Jake! Welcome home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home