East Meets West

I see myself as the quintessential collision of two very different worlds. My mother is Korean and my father is red-blooded American. It seems to me that as I journey along in my life, the "collision" becomes a "blending". Every choice, every decision, every reaction is a result of what I have taken from these two cultures...it is what makes me who I am.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HI - YA!

I've always wanted to do this! I signed up to take Tae Kwon Do. Noah started several months ago and has developed into quite the little martial artist. He also loves the fact that his best friend, McKenna, is taking the class with him! There I was taking him two to three times a week and watching him blossom...then I realized there was nothing to stop me from joining in myself! I was there already, so why not get some exercise at the same time? Soooo, I had NO IDEA how much I'd sweat! What an amazing way to work out! Never knew how good it would feel to kick a pad as hard as I can over and over and over and over...ok, got carried away. It is definitely a great way to get my frustrations out.

Demetri has even put on his little uniform and is participating in all the fun! He's a little young to be a student, but the instructors have been so nice to include him. He actually holds his own and amazingly is able to pay attention for most of the class. John has joined in on a class, too! He hasn't returned, though, since I practiced my self-defense moves on him...

Tae Kwon Do has also given me an unexpected gift. This form of martial arts is Korean in origin. I love the fact that our whole family is learning more about the Korean culture in a new, fun way! Oh, can't forget to mention the positive effect the values and morals that are taught in the classes have had on our sons' behavior! We love the "Family Codes!"

I have to admit that I may begin to miss my spot out in the waiting room amongst the other parents. I did enjoy my conversations out there. I'm sure Gina (a fellow parent and amazing friend!) will fill me in on any major news! Besides, I'm thrilled to be out there on the mat, learning something totally new, and meeting some new friends!

Your future black-belt signing off for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home