i AM a triathlete
Not too long ago, I shuddered at the thought of running. I ran my first 5K a couple of years ago and thought I was going to die at the finish line! So, to even imagine myself combining THREE events all at once was unthinkable! Wendy introduced me into the world of triathlon. My first instinct was to laugh and think of all the reasons why I couldn't participate in this "sport."I hate running and can't run very far.
I don't like to cycle because my crotch hurts on the seat.
I don't like to swim because I'm just not that good at it.
I don't have the time to train like an elite athlete.
I am uncomfortable with competing...just am.
I don't have the trim body that fits into triathlon gear.
I just CAN'T!!!
In my mind, the world of triathlon had no one like me in it. I am a mom of two young boys and my body has not "snapped back" yet! Nevermind how many years it has been since I gave birth to my youngest...I didn't believe and couldn't even imagine myself doing something like this. Someone did, though. Wendy had no doubt in her mind that I could compete in triathlons. So, I accepted her dare...I signed up for my first triathlon.
Last weekend, Wendy and I competed in my SECOND triathlon! The morning was perfect and the race was a blast! Here's what I've learned:
To be a "runner" you just have to put one foot in front of the other...doesn't matter how fast.
To be a cyclist, you get yourself a good pair of triathlon shorts, slather on some Body Glide where the tops of your thighs rub, and get on the bike and PEDAL!
To be a swimmer, get in the water and just FINISH that part of the race...no one cares if you are freesyling, breaststroking, or doggie paddling. They are just as eager to finish the swim as you are!
Most importantly, get rid of the "I can't's"!!! You really can do anything you set your mind to!
I may not have the perfectly sculpted body of an elite athlete, but I FEEL STRONG. I am finally becoming more comfortable in my own skin. Instead of worrying about what my body might not be able to do, I started to be grateful for what it can do. I am grateful that I went from surviving a 5K to running a 5K after I swam 1/4mi then biked 12 miles!!! I am grateful that I can put one foot in front of the other and enjoy the journey along the way. That's all it is, really. ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER. It's amazing where that takes you!
I'm not the fastest swimmer, have nowhere near perfect form on my road bike, and may look like I'm really struggling when I run...but I do the triathlons because I CAN. Because I have fun! Because I believe in myself enough to try something I never imagined myself doing. I think it's also pretty cool when my boys watch me train or come see the race and wear the triathlon medal around their necks. Noah and Demetri both said, "Mommy, we're so proud of you! Can we do this someday?" YAHOO!!! To be able to inspire my boys is something I treasure.
Tomorrow, I will put on my well-worn running shoes and start putting one foot in front of the other again. Because, now I am training for a half-marathon! The big day is in December in Las Vegas, baby! Look out, world, Cheri is believing in herself! No telling what roads these feet will travel now...
I AM A TRIATHLETE!


1 Comments:
I've ALWAYS believed in you, and I'm pleased to hear you say the same about yourself!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home